Friday, September 12, 2008

Something New



While on vacation last week, I spent another hour or so on the collage I began during the Lynne Perella workshop I participated in at the beginning of August, and got to a point where I felt I couldn't add any more. Complete? As Lynne said that day, "Nothing I make is ever complete!" But I am satisfied. She read a poem to us that day called, What's In My Journal, by William Stafford, and then assigned each of us a line from the poem to inspire our piece. The line I got: Evidence to hang me, or to beautify. This piece is about 24" x 36", big for me, but her final technique was folding it up into a book, sectioning the piece off in eighths, which made the whole experience different. You notice such different things, and knowing that the piece was created with the "big picture" in mind, turns out there was a lot of detail I didn't pay attention to until I got to see it sectioned off. I've attached some smaller snapshots of the piece below.

I love the concept but feel that I do need more practice with paint. So I'll keep working on this style. I'm very inspired!

(If you click on the image, you'll see it in bigger form.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really proud of you for reaching out of your comfort zone. This is really messy! How fun. I love the detail shots so much. And I LOVE the idea of making the big thing into a little book or set of cards.
Do more! Yes!

Ashley said...

Thanks for telling me about this today on the phone. You are definitely stepping out of what you normally do! I love this piece, especially getting up close to it. I love the textures and all the little things you wrote (were they just random things on your mind? or?). You should make your wonderful sister a wall-hanging for christmas... wink! xo