Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Time Capsule

My friend Diana commissioned me to make a pretty box for her to use at her sister's baby shower as a time capsule.  The guidelines I had to go on were the size and that her sister likes green.  Otherwise, I was given free reign!!  Here's how it turned out (click on any of the images for a better view):






This is the box's bad angle, but I did want you to see the felt-covered bottom: 



The box actually proved to be a challenge for a couple reasons.  First, the entire thing was paper.  With all the boxes I've made in the past, I have used fabric to line the inside.  That makes the paper-covering part simpler and fast, and the end result is very satisfying.  However, since the inside of this box is lined with paper, I had to be very precise in my cutting the paper to size and the gluing!  Second, I had to make a lid!  Only once before have I done this, and the construction of it, plus getting it to work in the way I wanted it to took a lot of thinking.  Ultimately it taught me a lot and I would do it again with a few tweaks.

My favorite parts about it: how the outside and inside papers complement each other, the felt color (and just that it adds some softness to the box), the gold over light green ribbon to make the ribbon shine instead of disappear into its sheerness, and the buckle.  A time capsule ought not to be super easy access, right?  There should be some mystery to it, don't you think?

It was very well received by Diana, and I am looking forward to hearing how it goes over at the shower.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Heather, what a beautiful box! Maybe you'll make me one someday! Love you! Ashley xo

Anonymous said...

Lovely craftsmanship my dear! And beautifully chosen colors. I like how you express the challenges and satisfactions of your projects, it so HLM, very professional, and has a tutorial spirit to it without being a how-to.