Friday, August 28, 2015

Pop-ups

Since my visit to Ingrid Siliakus' studio, I have been obsessed with pop-ups. Here are some examples:




This was a graduation card for my cousin, my first original design! Pop up naturally lends itself to steps and pillars, which seems appropriate for graduation. My aunt loved it so much that she commissioned a card for a friend of theirs who was also graduating and going to Duke University on a baseball scholarship. It only took something ridiculous like three months to get 'er done, but finally, this resulted. Here is my original design sketch and the final product:





The magic of pop-ups is all on the inside, but if you make a card, you gotta have something on the outside that entices you to open it. So I put this on the front.


My favorite part of this card is actually the baseball player silhouette, which I made myself, starting from this drawing and using a little Photoshop magic:



This last one is simple, but was equally fun to make. I left lots of room on the base for everyone in the office to sign this card to our departing boss.






No comments: